This Page

has been moved to new address

It's Almost Like Cocktail Hour

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* global ----------------------------------------------- */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; min-width: 760px; background: #ce436e url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_body.gif) repeat-x left top; font-family: helvetica, arial, verdana, "trebuchet ms", sans-serif; color: #632035; } blockquote { margin: 0; padding: 0 10px 0 10px; border-left: 6px solid #f7d8e2; border-right: 6px solid #f7d8e2; color: #ba476b; } code { color: #ba8094; } hr { display: none; } /* layout ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; width: 760px; text-align: left; } #blog-header { padding-bottom: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_header_bottom.gif) no-repeat left bottom; } #blog-header div { background: #632035 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_header.gif) repeat-x left bottom; } #main-wrapper { position: relative; width: 760px; background: #f7f0e9 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_main_wrapper.gif) repeat-y left top; } #main-content { display: inline; /* fixes a strange ie margin bug */ float: left; margin: 0 0 0 3px; padding: 0; width: 483px; } #content-wrapper { padding: 22px 0 0 0; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_content.gif) repeat-x left top; } } @media handheld { #wrapper { width: 90%; } #blog-header { background:none; } #blog-header div { background: #632035; } #main-wrapper { width: 100%; background: #f7f0e9; } #main-content { float: none; width: 100%; } #content-wrapper { background: none; } } .post { margin: 0 16px 14px 29px; padding: 0; border-bottom: 3px solid #f7d8e2; } #comments { margin: 0 16px 14px 29px; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #f0ced8; background-color: #f5e4e9; } @media all { #sidebar-wrapper { display: inline; /* fixes a strange ie margin bug */ float: right; margin: 0 3px 0 0; width: 269px; color: #761c37; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_sidebar.gif) repeat-x left top; } #sidebar { padding: 7px 11px 0 14px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_sidebar_arrow.gif) repeat-y 179px 0; } #blog-footer { padding-top: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer_top.gif) no-repeat left top; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer.gif) repeat-x left top; } } @media handheld { #sidebar-wrapper { float: none; width: 100%; background:none; } #sidebar { background:none; } #blog-footer { background:none; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525; } } #profile-container { margin-bottom: 20px; } #blog-footer { padding-top: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer_top.gif) no-repeat left top; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer.gif) repeat-x left top; } /* headings ----------------------------------------------- */ #blog-header h1 { margin: 0; padding: 26px 0 0 84px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 30px; line-height: 25px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_header.gif) no-repeat 16px 26px; } h2.date-header { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 29px; font-size: 10px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #c88fa2; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_date.gif) no-repeat 13px 0; } .date-header span { margin: 0 0 0 5px; padding: 0 25px 0 25px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_date.gif) no-repeat 0 0; } h2.sidebar-title { padding: 1px 0 0 36px; font-size: 14px; color: #bd8095; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_sidebar_heading.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; } #profile-container h2.sidebar-title { color: #95526a; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_sidebar_profileheading.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; } .post h3.post-title { margin: 13px 0 0 0; padding: 0; font-size: 18px; color: #ba476b; } #comments h4 { margin-top: 0; font-size: 16px; } /* text ----------------------------------------------- */ #blog-header p { margin: 0; padding: 7px 16px 0 84px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 14px; } .post-body div { font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; margin: 0; height:1%; overflow:visible; } .post-body blockquote { margin: 10px 0px; } p.post-footer { font-size: 11px; color: #bd8095; text-align: right; } p.post-footer em { display: block; float: left; text-align: left; font-style: normal; } p.comment-data { font-size: 12px; } .comment-body p { font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } #sidebar p { font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; margin-bottom: 20px; } #sidebar p.profile-textblock { clear: both; margin-bottom: 10px; } .profile-link { padding: 0 0 0 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_profile.gif) no-repeat 0 0; } p#powered-by { margin: 0; padding: 0; } #blog-footer p { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 15px 55px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 10px; line-height: 14px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_footer.gif) no-repeat 16px 0; } /* lists ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-data { font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px; } .post ul { padding-left: 32px; list-style-type: none; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; } .post li { padding: 0 0 4px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_list_item.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } #comments ul { margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; } #comments li { padding: 0 0 1px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } #sidebar ul { margin: 0 0 20px 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px; } #sidebar li { padding: 0 0 4px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_list_item.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } /* links ----------------------------------------------- */ a { color: #bf277e; font-weight: bold; } a:hover { color: #96095a; } a.comment-link { /* ie5.0/win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left: 14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* respecified, for ie5/mac's benefit */ background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left: 14px; } #sidebar ul a { color: #e25984; } #sidebar ul a:hover { color: #b02c56; } #powered-by a img { border: none; } #blog-header h1 a { color: #feeef3; text-decoration: none; } #blog-header h1 a:hover { color: #d9b4c1; } h3.post-title a { color: #ba476b; text-decoration: none; } h3.post-title a:hover { color: #902245; } /* miscellaneous ----------------------------------------------- */ .post-photo { padding: 3px; border: 1px solid #ebbdcc; } .profile-img { display: inline; } .profile-img img { float: left; margin: 0 10px 5px 0; padding: 3px; border: 1px solid #ebbdcc; } .profile-data strong { display: block; } .clear { clear: both; line-height: 0; height: 0; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { font-size: 14px; } #postfeeds { font-size: 12px; }

Tiaras and Trucks

Monday, August 1, 2011

It's Almost Like Cocktail Hour

Jessica and Liz, two savvy and supportive bloggers, hatched Summer Blog Social, an on-line blog conference for those of us missing the flurry of the summer blog conference circuit.
Previously, I was under the impression that blog conferences were about cocktails, sparkly shoes, and dancing at parties, but it turns out I was confusing a blog conference with an episode of The Real Housewives of {insert your favorite guilty pleasure here}.
It turns out that blog conferences are actually about recharging your blogging batteries, networking, and discovering and refining the direction of your blog…while drinking cocktails and dancing with new friends in sparkly shoes.
See why I’m not exactly the right person to give blogging advice? 
But if you held a gun to my head, which is what a well-phrased prompt equates to in my world, I would accept the challenge! Sooooo…Before I began blogging, I wish I had known…
…you can blog in a bubble, but it’s not nearly as much fun
I started Tiaras and Trucks without any real goals except to paper my little corner of the internet with pictures of and stories about my adorable daughter. Gradually, I noticed the world outside of my own blog (and birthed my equally adorable son); there are seventy billion blogs out there, and a countless number of them are written by talented writers and photographers and simply interesting people. When I started reaching out, reading and commenting and making connections, I really began to understand the social aspect of “social media”.
…making connections means making commitments
When I was ensconced in my little private blogging bubble, I only needed a few minutes each day to keep up my blog. Now, I’m putting in hours at my laptop, and only a fraction of that time is actually spent on Tiaras and Trucks.  I respond to the people kind enough to comment on my words and go visit their blogs.  I visit blogs of people I met through blogging that I now consider friends.  I read and comment on blogs I've stumbled upon and love, even if they don't know I exist!  I try to think of my blog as my on-line home. Staying home all the time doesn’t work for me in real life, and it doesn’t work in my blogging life either.
…blogging can reawaken a passion in your life
One Christmas, when I was in elementary school, Santa Claus brought me a typewriter (I just seriously dated myself, but stay with me for a second.)  I sat for hours in front of that sleek, black magic machine, pouring my imagination and my emotions onto paper. As life chipped away at my writing time, I made choice after choice that took me down a road where writing wasn’t a central part of my life. But, as my blog finds its footing, I am beginning to believe that my road could once again be paved with my words, leading me to a world where writing is more than a cherished hobby.
(just because I still like to paper my walls with pictures of my kids)

Labels: , , ,

52 Comments:

  • At August 1, 2011 at 12:23 AM , Anonymous MamaInsomnia said...

    I may have to rethink going to a conference. I was hoping for a RHO type atmosphere too. ;-) And I agree, blogging can totally awaken your passion for life!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 1:13 AM , Anonymous Jessica said...

    It's crazy how large the blogging world is once you really start to get into it. I'm amazed everyday at how many new people I find. 

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 6:21 AM , Anonymous Mama Wants This said...

    I like that you said your blog is your online home! I do too! 

    And the passion? Yes, I know that passion awakened that you speak of.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM , Anonymous jessica said...

    Wow, I could have written this post. I have found the exact same things. I used to "blog in a bubble" and blogging has also completely revived my passion for writing. Now I can't stop. So glad we have come out of our bubbles and met each other. Thanks for linking up!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:31 AM , Anonymous dollimama said...

    This is fabulous advice! I know what you mean about the blog bubble, I just popped mine in January.  Even though I have been blogging for 3 years, it's only been in the last 6 months that I really got into Social Media.  I love it so much!
    It was nice to meet you!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Elena @NaynaDub said...

    This is awesome advice. I love the section on "making connections means making commitments" - I couldn't agree more. Blogging takes time. Time that isn't always spent at your own blog. I think of my blog as my on-line home as well. 

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 12:15 PM , Anonymous Kristin & Megan said...

    Love this post! It really is a community experience!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 2:15 PM , Anonymous ErinMargolin said...

    I was in that bubble you speak of for a long time, too!! The sad part is, I had no idea! I really was soooo clueless about the vastness of BlogLand and how to get more involved, etc...

    ;-)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 2:25 PM , Anonymous Jeena Cho said...

    I'm glad I am not the only blogger that started out in a bubble. I've been doing it for years. Now, I'm itching to branch out and start another blog - this time more personal, less technical and (hopefully more fun). I also don't have any grand plan for the new blog (which also bothered me for a long time) so I didn't start it. But I recently decided it's silly to not start your trip because you don't have an ultimate destination. After all, every journey starts with the first step... right?

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:10 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Yes!  I think starting something with the intention of it being fun is key.  Although it is work, I find that it brings me joy, so maybe that will make the new blog a little less scary/bothersome.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Me too!  I remember thinking, "wow! a lot of people read this" and stuff like that, but I had no idea how to make real connections.  Of course, I also thought Twitter was designed to spy on celebrities ;)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:14 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I agree!  It's opened a whole new aspect to my blogging/writing/appreciation of bloggers.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:15 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I know.  I am getting better with managing my time, but it's overwhelming at times when I am trying to change things/make improvements. 

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Nice to meet you, too!  I blogged for a long, long time (relatively so) before even beginning to "meet" people and connect with other bloggers.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:18 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I'm glad, too!  We will have to get together again soon :)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Another passion that blogging has fueled?  Pretty things.  Like shoes & clothes :)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I know!  There are so many quality blogs and bloggers out there; it's mind boggling.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 3:20 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Yes!  Now I REALLY want to go play at a conference. 

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous Missy | The Literal Mom said...

    Loved this advice - so true.  And am I dating myself by saying I actually took a typewriter to college my freshman year????  I just subscribed as a new follower - glad to have found you!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 5:15 PM , Anonymous Roxanne Piskel said...

    I love the comment about blogging in a bubble. Because that was how I began (well really, don't we all?), and I didn't really start truly enjoying myself until I started connecting with other writers.

    Besides, if I wanted to blog in a bubble, I might as well go back to the notebooks. And I feel putting it on the internet actually makes me feel more accountable, so I force myself to write more than I did in the notebooks (although, don't get me wrong, I still love and use my notebooks. But that writing is a lot different these days).

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 5:17 PM , Anonymous Kir said...

    your blog is just like you, amazing and inviting, interesting and REAL. I love eerything about your space and I don't care how you came to blog, I am just so glad you do!!xo

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 6:55 PM , Anonymous jmiller2 said...

    I started my blog the same way you did - just my personal outlet for dealing with infertility and little did I know what it would grow into! I am so glad I escaped my "blog bubble!" The friends and connections I have made are priceless!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 6:56 PM , Anonymous Leighann said...

    Your statement "Staying home all the time doesn’t work for me in real life, and it doesn’t work in my blogging life either."Is the best one I have read!!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM , Anonymous Liz said...

    There's something special about the way you described how this has evolved for you that I just love. I can't put my finger on it, but there's something. :)

    I totally agree that conferences allow you to get recharged and energized and fill you with fresh ideas! I'm so glad you joined in and I hope that you feel it was worth your time!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:40 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Thanks Liz!  It's a work in process, but if it wasn't then I wouldn't feel good about it, you know?

    It's been extremely beneficial so far.  I'm enjoying reading and meeting some new people, plus there's a lot of solid advice flying around.  Also, it's making me seriously consider an in-person conference, because if I'm finding value in an on-line one, I think an in-person one could be even more valuable!
    Angela 

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:41 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Aw, thanks!  It's so true.  I don't know what the opposite of a "homebody" is, exactly, but that's me :)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:41 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I know!  Even if I never make money (LOL) I wouldn't trade the genuine people I've met for anything!

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    You know I love you!  Your words make me smile, and I am so glad to call you one of my friends.

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:42 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    What a great point!  Even when I was in my bubble, I must have had an inkling of what I could get into, because I wasn't just in a notebook :)

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 8:43 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    My parents kept my typewriter forever.  I actually used it to TYPE a job application for a city job after college, because it honestly had to be typed.  What??

     
  • At August 1, 2011 at 9:59 PM , Anonymous Mama Track said...

    So, so true. It is an enormous time commitment.  But so totally worth it.

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 3:23 AM , Anonymous mom2kiddos said...

    Spending hours on it is so true. I agree with all of them. I've also discovered a love for writing and for getting connected with the blogging community out there. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 3:51 PM , Anonymous Mrs. Jen B said...

    Yes! I used to blog in a bubble as well (great way of putting it, by the way) and it wasn't until I figured out that - duh - there were other blogs out there that I started really enjoying it.  It takes a ton of time but it really is fun and fulfilling - and it has awakened a passion in my life.  Great, great tips! :)

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 4:55 PM , Anonymous shellthings said...

    Our blogging starts are alot alike. I just wanted to document my boys' lives and stayed in a bubble. Much different once I stepped out!

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 9:24 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Well, if I could do a fraction of what you do, I would be happy!  I LOVE Things I Can't Say (and you!)

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 9:27 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Thanks Jen!  I still need to bake your bread by the way.  It's just too hot to have the oven on right now :(

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 9:28 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Thanks for stopping by.  It's a time suck, but one I love, so that's ok I guess :)

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM , Anonymous shellthings said...

    Aw, thanks so much- you made my night! 

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 10:08 PM , Anonymous My Pajama Days said...

    Blogging has definitely reawakened a passion in me, or at least pointed me in the direction I should have been going all along. I started blogging because I was lonely, hoping to make just a couple of like-minded friends. It never occurred to me that it would ignite relationships with so many amazing woman all across the world.

     
  • At August 2, 2011 at 11:08 PM , Anonymous Paula @ Simply Sandwich said...

    First I have to say your kiddos are DARLING! :) I agree with the reawakened passion aspect of blogging. I always loved writing and never in my wildest imagination did I think I could do it from home and connect with so many talented gals! Love it!

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 10:13 AM , Anonymous Samantha P said...

    My parents gave me a typewriter for Christmas one year.  I used to type poem after poem.  None of them were any good, but I thought I was big stuff!

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 3:40 PM , Anonymous Galit Breen said...

    Connections as commitments- wowsa I love that one, woman!

    So thankful for you. Wish I could pack you {and your sparkly shoes} and take you with me to BlogHer. Next time.

    Yes, next time. 

    XO

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I hope so!  I really do :) 

    I like how that part came together, too!  They are commitments, and I try to be serious about them, because the people I've connected with are so inspirational to me in so many ways!

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 9:09 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Isn't that funny?  I used so much paper and ink on pretty much just rambling :)

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 9:10 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Thank you!  I love that I found this part of my life again, and I'm glad you did, too!

     
  • At August 3, 2011 at 9:11 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    There are soooo many good people out there, and then I hear about how some of them (you!) are close by, yet we never would have connected without bloggin!

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous A Morning Grouch said...

    As a new blogger, I didn't realize that there was so much "outside the bubble". It is pretty amazing, though I do worry about getting sucked in and spending WAY too much time online!  Finding a balance is the key, to everything, I suppose. 

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM , Anonymous Sharongreenthal said...

    I've been blogging for two months, and I have most of all enjoyed connecting with people I don't know through my writing.  I wish I'd had something like this when my kids were little like yours...it would have saved me from many loooooong afternoons as a stay-at-home mom!  Keep up the writing!  emptyhousefullmind.blogspot.com 

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 11:42 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Love it! Thanks for sharing -- I'll take a lot of these to heart, as someone relatively new to blogging.

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 11:49 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Just when I think I find my balance, something changes :)

    Good luck, and thanks for stopping by!

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 11:51 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Ha!  My kids are like vultures when I open the laptop.  I do 90% of my stuff at night, when they're in bed :)

     
  • At October 26, 2011 at 11:52 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Well, thanks for stopping by!  It's such a fun journey, and I feel like I'm just beginning, too :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home