This Page

has been moved to new address

Runner. I'm a Runner.

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
/* global ----------------------------------------------- */ body { margin: 0; padding: 0; text-align: center; min-width: 760px; background: #ce436e url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_body.gif) repeat-x left top; font-family: helvetica, arial, verdana, "trebuchet ms", sans-serif; color: #632035; } blockquote { margin: 0; padding: 0 10px 0 10px; border-left: 6px solid #f7d8e2; border-right: 6px solid #f7d8e2; color: #ba476b; } code { color: #ba8094; } hr { display: none; } /* layout ----------------------------------------------- */ @media all { #wrapper { margin: 0 auto; width: 760px; text-align: left; } #blog-header { padding-bottom: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_header_bottom.gif) no-repeat left bottom; } #blog-header div { background: #632035 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_header.gif) repeat-x left bottom; } #main-wrapper { position: relative; width: 760px; background: #f7f0e9 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_main_wrapper.gif) repeat-y left top; } #main-content { display: inline; /* fixes a strange ie margin bug */ float: left; margin: 0 0 0 3px; padding: 0; width: 483px; } #content-wrapper { padding: 22px 0 0 0; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_content.gif) repeat-x left top; } } @media handheld { #wrapper { width: 90%; } #blog-header { background:none; } #blog-header div { background: #632035; } #main-wrapper { width: 100%; background: #f7f0e9; } #main-content { float: none; width: 100%; } #content-wrapper { background: none; } } .post { margin: 0 16px 14px 29px; padding: 0; border-bottom: 3px solid #f7d8e2; } #comments { margin: 0 16px 14px 29px; padding: 10px; border: 1px solid #f0ced8; background-color: #f5e4e9; } @media all { #sidebar-wrapper { display: inline; /* fixes a strange ie margin bug */ float: right; margin: 0 3px 0 0; width: 269px; color: #761c37; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_sidebar.gif) repeat-x left top; } #sidebar { padding: 7px 11px 0 14px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_sidebar_arrow.gif) repeat-y 179px 0; } #blog-footer { padding-top: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer_top.gif) no-repeat left top; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer.gif) repeat-x left top; } } @media handheld { #sidebar-wrapper { float: none; width: 100%; background:none; } #sidebar { background:none; } #blog-footer { background:none; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525; } } #profile-container { margin-bottom: 20px; } #blog-footer { padding-top: 15px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer_top.gif) no-repeat left top; } #blog-footer div { background: #491525 url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_footer.gif) repeat-x left top; } /* headings ----------------------------------------------- */ #blog-header h1 { margin: 0; padding: 26px 0 0 84px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 30px; line-height: 25px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_header.gif) no-repeat 16px 26px; } h2.date-header { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 0 29px; font-size: 10px; text-transform: uppercase; color: #c88fa2; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_date.gif) no-repeat 13px 0; } .date-header span { margin: 0 0 0 5px; padding: 0 25px 0 25px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/bg_date.gif) no-repeat 0 0; } h2.sidebar-title { padding: 1px 0 0 36px; font-size: 14px; color: #bd8095; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_sidebar_heading.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; } #profile-container h2.sidebar-title { color: #95526a; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_sidebar_profileheading.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; } .post h3.post-title { margin: 13px 0 0 0; padding: 0; font-size: 18px; color: #ba476b; } #comments h4 { margin-top: 0; font-size: 16px; } /* text ----------------------------------------------- */ #blog-header p { margin: 0; padding: 7px 16px 0 84px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 10px; font-weight: bold; line-height: 14px; } .post-body div { font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; margin: 0; height:1%; overflow:visible; } .post-body blockquote { margin: 10px 0px; } p.post-footer { font-size: 11px; color: #bd8095; text-align: right; } p.post-footer em { display: block; float: left; text-align: left; font-style: normal; } p.comment-data { font-size: 12px; } .comment-body p { font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; } .deleted-comment { font-style:italic; color:gray; } .paging-control-container { float: right; margin: 0px 6px 0px 0px; font-size: 80%; } .unneeded-paging-control { visibility: hidden; } #sidebar p { font-size: 12px; line-height: 17px; margin-bottom: 20px; } #sidebar p.profile-textblock { clear: both; margin-bottom: 10px; } .profile-link { padding: 0 0 0 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_profile.gif) no-repeat 0 0; } p#powered-by { margin: 0; padding: 0; } #blog-footer p { margin: 0; padding: 0 0 15px 55px; color: #feeef3; font-size: 10px; line-height: 14px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_footer.gif) no-repeat 16px 0; } /* lists ----------------------------------------------- */ .profile-data { font-size: 13px; line-height: 17px; } .post ul { padding-left: 32px; list-style-type: none; font-size: 13px; line-height: 18px; } .post li { padding: 0 0 4px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_list_item.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } #comments ul { margin: 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; } #comments li { padding: 0 0 1px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } #sidebar ul { margin: 0 0 20px 0; padding: 0; list-style-type: none; font-size: 12px; line-height: 14px; } #sidebar li { padding: 0 0 4px 17px; background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_list_item.gif) no-repeat 0 3px; } /* links ----------------------------------------------- */ a { color: #bf277e; font-weight: bold; } a:hover { color: #96095a; } a.comment-link { /* ie5.0/win doesn't apply padding to inline elements, so we hide these two declarations from it */ background/* */:/**/url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left: 14px; } html>body a.comment-link { /* respecified, for ie5/mac's benefit */ background: url(http://www.blogblog.com/thisaway_rose/icon_comment.gif) no-repeat 0 45%; padding-left: 14px; } #sidebar ul a { color: #e25984; } #sidebar ul a:hover { color: #b02c56; } #powered-by a img { border: none; } #blog-header h1 a { color: #feeef3; text-decoration: none; } #blog-header h1 a:hover { color: #d9b4c1; } h3.post-title a { color: #ba476b; text-decoration: none; } h3.post-title a:hover { color: #902245; } /* miscellaneous ----------------------------------------------- */ .post-photo { padding: 3px; border: 1px solid #ebbdcc; } .profile-img { display: inline; } .profile-img img { float: left; margin: 0 10px 5px 0; padding: 3px; border: 1px solid #ebbdcc; } .profile-data strong { display: block; } .clear { clear: both; line-height: 0; height: 0; } /* Feeds ----------------------------------------------- */ #blogfeeds { font-size: 14px; } #postfeeds { font-size: 12px; }

Tiaras and Trucks

Monday, April 11, 2011

Runner. I'm a Runner.

I started running back in college, my sophomore year when I lived in the dorms.  I ran with a friend, and what I remember most is singing while running (either Oasis's Wonderwall or Mariah Carey's Always Be My Baby)

Since then, I've become more disciplined.  I know about pace and footstrikes and what kind of music makes me run faster and how gratifying and addicting it can be to build and track a training plan.

I've run numerous 5Ks and a 10K and three half-marathons.

Yet, when I talk about my runs and my running, I always, always qualify my words: I'm not at all fast, I just do it for fun, I've never done a full marathon.

As I typed out last week's post about my latest half-marathon, I thought about these little asides and wondered why I always feel the need to add them.

Is it because I look more like an uncoordinated labrador puppy than a gazelle when I run?

Is it because I build rounded, sturdy muscles instead of the lean sinews I envy in some of the runners around me?

Is it because my brother is "the athletic one"?

Is it because I have to use all of my innate stubbornness and maximum physical effort to build up to times that "better" runners would consider failed races?

I need to leave these negative thoughts behind if I want to be a role model for Abbey.

What matters is that four or five times a week, I lace up my shoes, turn up my running music, put one foot in front of the other.

Left. Right. Left. Right. Repeat.

Four or five times a week, I run.

I am a runner.
Abbey reading with Aunt Carolyn in Nashville
Aunt Carolyn is my running inspiration
I remember her running back when it was cool to wear matching short shorts and tank tops
she's still running, despite injuries and changes in running fashions!




this is an old post, but I'm linking it in honor of Elaine's big decision to train for her first half!

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

  • At April 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM , Anonymous Trish in AZ said...

    I love your blog and the fact that when I click on it, I never know what I'm going to be reading about! Please accept the Versatile Blogger Award from my blog to yours! Just visit and grab it and have a great week!

    www.contemplatinghappiness.blogspot.com

     
  • At April 11, 2011 at 3:56 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Aw thanks! I will try to pass it along in a timely fashion!

     
  • At April 11, 2011 at 5:14 PM , Anonymous shellthings said...

    You ARE a runner! :)

    I'm impressed.

     
  • At April 11, 2011 at 9:00 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Thanks Shell! I don't know if it's impressive, but I love it!

     
  • At April 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM , Anonymous Cheryl said...

    I so relate. But even after doing two full marathons and three (soon to be four) half-marathons and a couple 10ks and who-knows-how-many 5ks, I STILL do not consider myself a runner.

    A runner is someone who, you know, runs fast and doesn't always feel like they're dying.

    Which is not me.

    I run. But I'm not a runner. I so get it.

     
  • At April 12, 2011 at 11:27 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I am laughing out loud at the "doesn't always feel like they're dying" part, because that's me all the time.

    But Cheryl, two full marathons? If you're not a runner, I might have to change the title of this post to "Runner. I am a Wannabe Runner."

    And good luck on your upcoming half-marathon!

     
  • At April 13, 2011 at 11:42 AM , Anonymous Kir said...

    I am so jealous of your title..RUNNER. I have never been good at walking, let alone running.
    However, I love the fact that you can IDENTIFY yourself, make it known, that you RUN. What a fantastic realization to have. xo

     
  • At June 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM , Anonymous Mad Woman said...

    Here from In These Small Moments. I can so relate to this post and Cheryl's comment. (I've met Cheryl and there is NO question: she's a runner!)
    I take the opposite approach: I'm constantly telling myself I'm a runner, no asides, in the hope that one day it'll be true. Many 5ks, a few 10ks and one 1/2 under my belt, I hope to get back on the trail/track/road again soon...and on to another 1/2 by fall. And yet, I haven't ran in 5 months. I haven't walked more than 2 miles in the past 5 months, and certainly not without significant effort. 
    But I'm a runner. It is part of my soul, even when it hurts to breath, even when every bone in my body begs me to stay in bed, even when my fat ass cannot fit into my running shorts. I'm a runner, dammit.

    Oh, BTW, Hi, I'm Amy, the Mad Woman behind the Blog....and your latest follower.

     
  • At June 6, 2011 at 8:07 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Hi Amy!  Thanks for following :)  Although I ran my first half before kids, the one I ran after having Dylan (baby in January, race in October) was so much more significant for me.  I'm registered for another half in October, so we can train "together"!

     
  • At September 12, 2011 at 1:12 AM , Anonymous Galit Breen said...

    You are indeed a runner, and an inspiring one at that. And I love your decision to repost this for Eaine!!

     
  • At September 12, 2011 at 1:59 PM , Anonymous Elaine said...

    Okay, I'm a dummy. I knew you were a runner from that AWESOME running post of yours, DUH!  Anyway, THIS is what I needed to read today.  Well, and pretty much every day I put my feet to treadmill or pavement.  I am NOT someone that running comes easy to, I have to work for every mile.  HARD.  

    So, thank you for this!!!!  

    I'm putting this on FB page, by the way... xo

     
  • At September 12, 2011 at 3:11 PM , Anonymous Jdaniel4smom said...

    This sounds like a wonderful way to clear your head and stay healthy at the same time.

     
  • At September 17, 2011 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    When I find the time to do it :(  

     
  • At September 17, 2011 at 4:19 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    I need to read it myself lately.  Things are getting in the way of my training, and I am NOT happy with myself.  Plus, it makes me crabby not to run :(

    You are just lovely Elaine, and you are going to rock.  I know what you mean about the miles being tough :(

     
  • At September 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM , Anonymous Angela said...

    Aw, thanks Galit!  I need some inspiration myself lately!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home